Take your postgresSql on the road, and live to tell of it. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Owen Hartnett
Subject Take your postgresSql on the road, and live to tell of it.
Date
Re: Take your postgresSql on the road, and live to tell of it.  (Scott Ribe <scott_ribe@killerbytes.com>)
List pgsql-general
Here's what I want to do:

Checkpoint the database in whatever way is appropriate.

Make copies of the database on several laptops for use in the field
(in automobiles) to do database changes.  Record all the changes made
since the checkpoint as the user makes them.

Periodically take all the changes back into the office, take the
changes made out in the field and apply them to the main database.

Repeat the process.

Notes:

1) Unless an user makes a mistake, there should be no changes to the
same records by multiple users.  (i.e. any concurrency violations
should be registered as an exception.)

2) I'd prefer it to just record the sql commands executed by the
database as text, then use psql < myFieldcommands to update the
database.  This will also help me isolate any concurrency exceptions,
and I'd like to wrap the whole update in a transaction, so I can roll
the whole thing back if it does detect concurrency problems anywhere
in the process (then I can edit out the offending lines).

3) There's no particular rush to update the database - I don't need
this real-time.

4) Users might make their checkpoint at a different time from other users.

Since I'm relatively new to Postgres, (and I apologize if this has
come up before), I'm hoping some respondents will provide me with the
correct strategy.

-Owen